Thursday, August 25, 2016

Episode 11: The Rainbow Game

Ratatouille

Portion Size: 1 1/2 C 
Servings: 2

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of seasonal squash or zucchini
  • 1 cup of eggplant
  • 1/2 C onions & garlic
  • 1 C tomatoes, blanched and diced
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. Sautée onions and garlic in a medium saucepan
  2. Add tomatoes and stir until mixed.
  3. Add squash, eggplant, salt and pepper. Cover until veggies are cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
  4. Uncover and cook down if needed to thicken the consistency.

Purple Potato Pizza

Portion Size: 2 slices
Services: 2 

Ingredients:

  • 1 C quinoa, cooked
  • 1 C steamed purple potato or yam (purple or orange)
  • 1 Tbsp avocado oil
  • 1 garlic clove
  • salt and pepper

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 oF. While oven is preheating,, steam purple potato into a mushy consistency (-15-20 min medium heat), smash in a large mixing bowl, and add 1 cup of quinoa. Salt, pepper, and mix well.
  2. Line a tray with parchment paper and spread the mixture until flat crust is formed. Lower oven temperature to 275oF and bake 1.5 hrs.
  3. Turn up oven to 300oF and brown crust 10-20 minutes
  4. Let cool and season toppings and bake 10-15 minutes at 300oF.

Frozen Nutty Banana Snack

Servings: 1

Ingredients:

  • 1 small banana
  • 2 Tbsp peanut butter (or favorite nut butter)
  • 1 tsp hemp seed

Directions:

Layer banana slices with your favorite nut butter in freezer safe container. I usually do 5 layers with the bananas on the top followed by 1 1/2 t of peanut butter, another layer of bananas, 1 1/2 T peanut butter, a final layer of bananas toped with hemp seeds. I will put it in the freezer until ready to eat. Let it sit out 10-15 minutes before eating.

Yogurt Parfait

Servings: 1

Ingredients:

  • 1 C grass-fed yogurt
  • 1/2-1 C seasonal fruit
  • 1-2 T honey, maple, or agave nectar
  • 1/2 C oats, nuts, granola and/or chia seeds for a more hearty breakfast

Directions:

Mix the honey with yogurt until well blended. Put a spoonful in the bottom of the parfait cup, add fruit, granola if desired, yogurt, fruit and top with yogurt and a sprinkle of granola.

Or for a simple quick breakfast:
     Mix the honey with yogurt until well blended, add fruit and stir gently.



Kale Salad

Portion size: 1 C    Servings:  4-5

Ingredients: 



  • 1 bunch of Kale
  • 1 small Lemon
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2-3 T Extra Virgin cold pressed olive oil
  • ½ -3/4 C Seasonal fruit (apple, strawberries, blueberries, pear…)
  • ½ C Goat Cheese (or feta)
  • 1/4 C Almond slivers


Directions: 


Remove the stem from the kale and cut into bite size pieces.  Squeeze lemon and pour juice over kale.  Add 1 tsp of salt and mix well. Refrigerate the kale and marinate overnight in lemon juice to soften the leaves.  When ready to serve, toss with olive oil, salt, almonds, fruit and feta cheese. 


Below you will find the Color Chart!




7 comments:

  1. I often hear that the more colors on your plate, the healthier and more appetizing it is. The colors are not from dyes, but from the food’s natural pigments. Looks can be deceiving when eating out, such as in dessert places if they overdo the aesthetic of foods by adding unnecessary coloring to attract more customers. It is better to prepare your own food so you know what exactly your body is consuming. The Rainbow Game video explained how eating a variety of naturally colored food gives more nutrients, and showed different dishes using fresh ingredients of all colors. I thought this was interesting because I learned new methods to incorporate more colors in a healthier way instead of eating plain, bland meals. I do not see a lot of blue or purple foods, so it was helpful to learn about what I can use, such as purple potatoes mixed with quinoa as a pizza crust. Eating more colorful foods would be a fun way to experiment with new dishes and broaden my taste buds, while achieving a full, nutrient-dense meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had my attention at “game”! I loved this video post because it makes having a well balanced diet into something fun. What stood out to me most in this video is the amount of creativity that went into filling out the rainbow chart. The way you used purple potatoes and quinoa as a pizza crust was so inventive and a perfect way to fill that difficult purple portion of the chart. I also loved the idea of making a ratatouille with all those different vegetables because it looked simple to make but helped cover 4 colors in our diet. This blog helped open my eyes to the importance of a well balanced and colorful diet but also made it into a fun game. I look forward to getting creative and attempting to fill my rainbow each week.
    -Claire Kirksey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madison Wilt
    I have watched another one of Libby's kitchen videos about repurposed leftovers, and I love seeing how she creatively cooks simple and nutritious meals. I wasn't previously aware how much the color of food can tell you in nutrients. This video fully embodies how variety gives us more resilience, for our bodies and it promotes more biodiversity. Eating a rainbow is such an efficient way to manage diets, no calorie counting necessary and fruits and vegetables leave you feeling more satiated and craving less food. This method will also help me personally in staying away from packaged foods and try to cook more when I can. In the U.S., 80% of packaged food contains genetically modified organisms which is just another incentive to "eat a rainbow." Additionally, I was surprised to learn that a lot of orange and yellow foods are less water soluble, motivating me to eat more greens. This method also reminds me of the Westin price principles of a healthy diet. A few of these principles include but are not limited: nutrient density, high level of enzymes, no refined or denatured foods. Eating a rainbow will help you have a healthier diet, push you to cook at home more, and is a fun way to engage with what you are eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eating in terms of color is a concept I never really thought about. It makes sense that diversifying the different foods you eat. I didn’t really grow up eating that many vegetables so I’m not used to having a variety of colorful foods at home. I mainly grew up with a portion of meat and a carb with maybe beans or a side of corn depending on whatever we’re eating. Foods I have always loved are avocados and olives and I can see now how important it is to branch out and maybe try a bunch of different colored foods. I personally love greek yoghurt and get the flavored kind that doesn’t add sugar and just add some organic granola. I will definitely be needing to add more vegetables in my diet but I think I would rather juice them. I generally only like to eat bell peppers, broccoli, and carrots but I definitely don’t eat them as much as I should. I do love adding spinach to my smoothies and learning how important buying organic is from class has made me start to buy as much things as I can afford organic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belisa Rivera HM 370March 23, 2022 at 12:24 PM

    I instantly clicked on this video because the title caught my attention. The title appealed very fun and inviting, I am glad I did, I enjoyed how many options were given for each meal of the day and again so many different options of colors that I never even realized we can use for these recipes. We learn very quickly that all these colors that different fruits and vegetables offer make our meals so much more appetizing because of course we eat sometimes with our eyes first. Today when we think of colors in our food, most times we think of candy, juices, desserts, etc. but most times the colors in those items comes from artificial dyes and sweeteners that are not great for our health. Libby does a great job of explaining and breaking down how the game enables us and challenges us to look at how mnay foods and ingredients we can eat rather than what we can’t eat. The breakdown of each color and what kinds of nutrients and vitamins are carried by each color can definitely motivate people to “eat the rainbow” to not only have a colorful plate but to know that each of those colors are bringing in so many great things into our bodies. This is a great game also to know and feel equipped that our bodies are on the right track to getting what they need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with focusing on the quality of our intake as opposed to calorie limitation as a means of healthy consumption. The mindset of what we can eat allows us to form healthier relationships with food as opposed to viewing foods or food groups as what we can’t eat.

    A diverse plate with a decent range of colors give us important micronutrients, vitamins and minerals, that we may not get from just eating a meat protein, starchy carb, and single vegetable. Increasing the variety in our diet can help us improve the efficiency of our energy expenditure.

    These recipes are fantastic! I’ve found with my limited free time as a student I tend to meal prep food for 2-3 days at a time and include things like a salad of dark greens, roasted vegetables with variety whether it’s bell peppers, carrots, squash, or starches like purple or red sweet potatoes, black rice, red quinoa, and proteins like chicken or fish. I tend to use multiple small things for variety to be mixed throughout my days. I definitely agree that an easy and sufficient morning meal is yogurt bowls! I’ve always used Greek yogurt with fresh fruits or berries, granola, nuts, or hemp seeds. These kinds of meals are so satisfying and energizing, I’d highly recommend adapting to this method of eating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zhiqing Jiang - Eating different colors of fruits and vegetables more frequently can increase the intake of essential micronutrients and phytochemicals to meet our nutritional needs and beneficial to our health and even good for the environment, it is considered sustainable. I agree that we don’t have to count the calories basically from fruit and vegetables because they are high nutrient dense. I also like to eat “colors” and I think it is fun and enjoyable. I also engage to have more green leafy vegetables because they are high in folate that can protect DNA and lower cell abnormal. I think the rainbow game is fun and suitable for helping the children stay away from picky eating as possible. The recipes look very good, healthy, and the dishes look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete